With summer just around the corner, we’re preparing you for planning the perfect picnic. A picnic is a relaxed, casual way to spend quality time with loved ones and enjoy simple and fresh food. But simple and hassle-free doesn’t need to be boring. If you want to take your picnic fare up a notch, ditch the cold cuts and potato salad, and see below for some great ideas from Direct From Blue Plate!
Components of the Ultimate Picnic Menu
The ultimate picnic menu should include one or two items from different food categories to ensure there’s enough variety. Here are some delicious, picnic-friendly foods, as well as a few refreshing cocktails, that make great additions to any picnic menu.
Just as every meal has an entrée or main food, a picnic needs some dishes that are substantial and satisfying.
- Turkey Breast Sandwiches (turkey breast, avocado, cucumber, sprouts, aioli)
- Falafel Wraps (avocado, tomato, cucumber, red onion, lettuce, tabbouleh, hummus)
- Chicken Salad Mini Sandwiches (dried cherries, pecans, honey aioli)
- Caprese Wrap (mozzarella, red peppers, arugula, tomato, basil pesto)
Salads, being light and crisp, are a fantastic side dish for a picnic.
- Cobb Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
- Blackened Steak Salad with Blue Cheese
- Chopped Italian Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Chipotle Chicken Caesar Salad
- Southwest Vegetable Salad
Who doesn’t love the seasonal fruits summer has to offer? Fruit deserves a spot at any picnic so don’t skip this one.
- Melon Balls in Wafer Ice Cream Cones
- Mixed Berries
- Tropical Fruit Salad
Freshly Baked Desserts
All great meals aren’t complete without a yummy dessert and picnics are no different! Pack one or more of these simple treats and there won’t be any left to bring back home.
- Cheesecake Lollipops
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Fudge Brownies
- Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods
- Homemade Cookies
Let’s not forget a how refreshing a cocktail can be, especially on those extra hot days! Pitcher cocktails are the perfect choice for a picnic as they can be made ahead of time and save you the trouble of having to mix cocktails individually.
- Classic Mojito
- Pineapple Rum Cooler
- Summer Sangria
- Watermelon Margarita
Whether you’ll be picnicking at a park, the beach, or in your own backyard, you can’t go wrong with a combination of the above menu suggestions. So get out your picnic basket and a blanket, and enjoy your meal outdoors!